Tuesday 31 January 2012

Spring Projects

Our Spring Project performance dates are now only a week away, and I'm feeling excited, nervous, and daunted by the amount of work still to be done.

Circomedia have agreed to allow me to have a live musician/sound designer as part of my piece, namely my lovely partner Matt.  This was important to me as we want to collaborate together professionally in the future, and this seemed like a great opportunity to try out ideas.

Sound and music are integral to the piece that I've been developing, which tells the story of a woman so obsessed with newspapers that she lives vicariously through them, and struggles daily to leave the house.  There are no words in the piece, yet the soundscape that Matt and I have been designing lets the audience hear what the character hears - the whispers and babble of the newspapers talking to her.  The added layer of having this played live, along with visible newspaper scrunches into a microphone and accordion music, helps to add a layer of theatricality that lets the audience know that what is happening is only a perception of reality, not the reality itself.

Or at least, that's the idea.  Let's see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment