Monday 23 January 2012

Time to Relax and Enjoy

So the most stressful week to date at Circomedia has finally been and gone.  Last Friday we presented our physical theatre and acro group pieces for this half term, and I am so glad that they're out of the way.  On February 8th we'll be presenting our Spring Projects, which is our first opportunity to make work which is entirely self-directed, and a chance to explore where we may want to go once we've left the course.  So trying to get together in groups for extra rehearsal when everyone is on different timetables has been fraught and tiring in equal measures.

In PT we've been working with Larval masks, which has been a new experience for me.  They're a funny mixture of having to use the body in very unnatural ways to produce a 'natural' looking result (obviously the masks don't move, so in order to emote, you have to show this through movements of the chest), and paring everything down to its component parts - in a mask every movement is more noticeable, so it's important to consider everything you do, right down to the flick of a finger, otherwise the mask appears to be 'talking' all the time.

Our brief for this presentation was to play an emotionally charged situation which didn't require words.  In case you can't tell, I'm the one who enters carrying the rose.

http://youtu.be/s7PBglNojsA

And in acro we've been working on tempo moves, which basically means throws and catches or anything with rhythm and movement involved.  I've also been taking part in an extra curriculur rope class on a Monday evening, which my arms aren't liking very much.  This just made last week ten times harder than it already was, hence the very large tubi-grip on my left arm.

 http://youtu.be/4tjeU5-0xQQ

So now it's time to breathe deeply, remember how much I love being here, and get stuck into my Spring Project.  I was so scared of trying to create something of my own before I arrived at Circomedia, because I felt that I didn't know how to begin, and now I just couldn't be more excited at the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment